Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy treatment is a highly effective treatment available for patients with chronic tendon disorders. It is widely used among Orthopaedic surgeons and elite athletes as an alternative to cortisone injections and surgery.
Shockwave Therapy is a non-surgical treatment which uses high amplitude pulses of mechanical energy which spread as vibrations into the symptomatic tissues resetting the natural healing process of the body by:
- Improving circulation by encouraging the formation of new blood vessels (angiogenesis)
- Breaking down calcific deposits and fibrous muscle adhesions
- Reversing chronic inflammation and pain
- Stimulating the production of collagen necessary to repair damaged tissue structure
- Encouraging tendon repair
- Decreasing healing times allowing patients to return to their usual activities
It offers a highly effective, non-invasive solution to treat stubborn chronic soft tissue injuries that have not responded to other physical therapies. Conditions which Shockwave therapy can help include:
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Calcific Tendonitis of the shoulder
- Tennis and Golfers Elbow
- Trochanteric bursitis/ Lateral hip pain
- Patella Tendinopathy (Jumper’s Knee)
- Medial Tibial Periostitis (Shin Splints)
- Hamstring Tendon Pain
- Some Chronic Back Pain
- Achilles Tendinopathy
Shockwave therapy is usually recommended for who have had previous conservative therapies that have provided little or no clinical benefit. 3 to 6 treatments on a weekly basis is often all that is required. A significant clinical benefit is often seen 6-8 weeks after treatment with clinical outcomes showing a success rate of 70-80% in providing significant remission from symptoms.
If you are unsure whether Shockwave therapy can help with your specific condition please do get in touch and we can talk through your specific requirements.